Sunday, September 16, 2007

Letting Go of Mistakes

As we go through life, each of us is bound to make mistakes. It is a fact of life. I hate making mistakes. There was a time in my life when I became very angry, embarrassed, and bitter for making mistakes. I would often take my anger out on others because of the mistakes I made. My anger and bitterness would then consume and impede my present or future fulfillment. I was robbing myself.

Now that kind of strategy simply does not make sense. Maybe some of you are caught in this same kind of trap. I think in my case anyway, it came down to a fear of failure or becoming too concerned about what others thought.

Maybe you have experienced this at work when you are being evaluated on how you performed on a certain task. You may be overly concerned about past performance. If you are asking yourself-"How did I do?", you may be too concerned about past mistakes made. Yes we can learn from past mistakes, but we should not be consumed by them.

Picture holding on to a balloon, then letting it go, and watching it drift slowly up into the sky never to return. You can do the same with your past mistakes. Just let them go.

Don't let past mistakes immobilize you. You have to accept the past. You can't return to it. You did the best you could for the situation you were in at the time. It is not necessary to judge yourself. You can be free from the past by living in the present and enjoying it. Learn from the past but live in the present. Fulfillment can be yours today by letting go.

David Croston
Motivational Concepts and Training


Tag

No comments: